A large stone house stands on the corner lot at the end of Clarkson Street, east of Wister Street. This house was built in 1868. The property was home to two prominent Victorian women who would make important marks in the fields of historic preservation, women's voting rights, and education. The property was acquired by La Salle College, now La Salle University, and christened the "Mary and Frances Wister Studio" in 1994.
Mary Channing Wister (1870-1913) daughter of William Rotch and Mary Eustis Wister, married second cousin Owen Wister (1860-1938) of "Butler Place" in 1898. She was President of Philadelphia's Equal Franchise Society and the first woman to serve on the Philadelphia School Board.
Read an essay on Mary Channing Wister in La Salle's Digital Commons.
Frances Anne Wister (1874-1956), daughter of William Rotch Wister and Mary Eustis, was one of the founders of the Philadelphia Orchestra. She was honored with a Gimbel Award as the Outstanding Woman of Philadelphia, for her founding of the Society for the Preservation of Landmarks.
Read an essay about Frances Anne Wister in La Salle's Digital Commons.